Work-related statuses of residence

[Question] I would like to work in Japan as a language instructor. What are the necessary procedures?


Status of residence depends on the type of work in which you are involved.

  1. Professor: Research, research guidance, or education activities as professor, assistant professor, or assistant, etc. at universities, equivalent educational institutions, or technical colleges
  2. Instructor: Language instruction and other education activities at elementary schools, junior high schools, senior high schools, schools for the blind, handicapped children's schools, miscellaneous schools (kakushu gakko and senshu gakko), or other educational institutions equivalent to kakushu gakko in facilities and curriculum. A person whose contract goes through an agency are also covered by this status of residence.
  3. Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services: When engaged in language teaching at a privately owned language school, or in internal language training at companies.

For the necessary procedures in each case, please refer to Immigration HP.

[Question] I would like to work as a chef in a restaurant in Japan. What criteria do I need to meet in order to obtain a Skilled Labor visa?

The status of residence “Skilled Labor” is for "activities of following occupations that require skilled labor in special industrial fields on the basis of contracts with public or private organizations in Japan." "Special industrial fields" include fields unique to foreign countries and those in which skilled laborers are few in number in Japan. For more information, please refer to Immigration HP.