Livelihood assistance・Financial assistance

[Question] Are foringers living in Japan elgible for public assisntace under the Plublic Assistance law? How can I apply for the service?

Foreigners do not have a legal right to get such public assistance because the law is originally intended for Japanese nationals, but the Public Assistance Law is applied to destitute foreigners at the discretion of the government, provided they meet either one of the following requirements:

1. Foreigners listed in Appended Table 2 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Permanent Resident, Spouse of a Japanese National, Spouse of a Permanent Resident, and Long-term Resident)
2. Special Permanent Residents recognized under the Special Act on the Immigration Control of, Inter Alia, Those Who Have Lost Japanese Nationality Pursuant to the Treaty of Peace with Japan
3. Foreigners who are recognized as refugees under the provisions of Article 1 of the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees or the provisions of Article 1 of the Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees.

To receive public assistance, you need to apply for recognition to the municipal office where you registered for Resident Registration, which is responsible for assisting the foreigners who meet the above criteria.